Friday, May 31, 2013

Finding Motivation Again

I'll never forget the day in high school, when I was sitting next to my friend Michelle Watkins, and for whatever reason, certainly not unprovoked, she quipped, "You know, Katie, one day you're going to turn around and wake up and be 30 and be fat." I thought it was the most atrocious thing I'd ever heard. Of course I wasn't going to just wake up and be FAT. Have you seen my Mom? She's a 6' pencil! I could shovel in as many carbs as I wanted, and I did. I was involved in so many sports that I'd drop into bed exhausted and sore every night. I kept it up in college, my body was tight as a drum. I kept it up after college, and of course there was Miami: races and run clubs for a solid year.

But two years later, I live in this:


And anything close to a beachy waterfront looks like this:


And you can eat things like this from street carts for $5.


And wash it down with:


My kitchen is about as big as your driver seat, so I've completely stopped cooking and buy nearly every single meal out. Do you know how high in sodium and calories even the 'healthiest' eat-out foods are?? It's nearly impossible to maintain any kind of control over your health unless you're buying the ingredients and cooking them yourself.

And to top it all off, I'm going to be 29 this year. Twenty-nine. Almost thirty. I don't mind the milestone, but my body knows that I'm not 22 anymore either. I wouldn't say that I'm getting 'soft', but I certainly can't be hoarking carbs down without a second thought. 

I know, I know, I can hear you already. 

"It's not New York. It's YOU, Katie. YOU make every decision to put that piece of thai food in your mouth, or not pack your gym bag." 

Blah, blah, blah. It's New York's fault.

That being said... I need to get back on the horse. I need to try to eat better and get exercising again. I need motivation. What seems to be motivating me right now is my two-week honeymoon in fabulous Spain at the end of August. It's going to be one million degrees there and I'll be wearing probably next to nothing every day. Is that enough motivation? Since when did I ever NEED motivation...??? Ugh. 

Should I just stick these girls all over my bathroom mirror?


Probably.

I'm going to order a delicious, fatty pizza and think about how to make this work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment